Do dental appointments make you feel frightened and anxious? This could result in you avoiding important appointments, which, in turn, could affect the quality of your oral health. Here at The Dentists South Shore, in our Layton Ave. and Howell Ave. offices in Milwaukee, WI, our dentists offer sedation dentistry for all sorts of dental procedures, from intensive ones like dental implants to very routine treatments such as professional cleaning.
Understanding Oral Conscious Sedation Dentistry and Safety
Sedation dentistry entails the use of oral drugs and/or nitrous oxide to help you reach the right level of calmness so that you could undergo the dental procedure you require with ease and comfort. Depending on your level of anxiety or fear, your dentist might order you to take an oral sedative in advance.
Along with a trusted companion, you will come to your dentist’s office in our Layton Ave. or Howell Ave. location in Milwaukee, WI, at the appointed hour. If needed, nitrous oxide or laughing gas can likewise be administered to help you unwind further.
Your sedation dentistry team will be there to observe your vital signs throughout the procedure. During treatment, expect to feel extremely relaxed. You can even speak with your dentist during this time because you’ll be awake.
Determining If Oral Conscious Sedation Dentistry is Right for You
Apart from the fact that oral conscious sedation can eliminate feelings of uneasiness and fear, it is typically recommended in the following cases:
- Local anesthetics are ineffective for you.
- Your gag reflex is extra-sensitive.
- You need to undergo a great amount of dental work that could take several hours.
- Your teeth are extremely sensitive.
- You have an underlying health problem such as back or neck pain which could cause uneasiness or pain while sitting on the dentist’s chair.
- You have a mental and/or developmental disorder such as severe anxiety, dental phobia, autism, sensory processing disorder, ADHD, or Down’s syndrome among others.
The Benefits of Oral Conscious Sedation
- No need for needles. If you are intensely fearful of needles, you wouldn’t have to worry about being pricked.
- It’s a very easy and safe process. Your dentist will determine the most appropriate sedation option that will be most effective for you and you’ll be under the watchful eye of your dental team the entire time.
- Remain in control. Throughout the procedure, you will remain receptive and aware of your dentist’s instructions, despite feeling drowsy due to the sedative.
For More Information or Questions on Oral Conscious Sedation Dentistry, Reach Out to Us
You can reach our Layton Ave. office at (414) 483-1600 or our Howell Ave. office at (414) 877-0840 in Milwaukee, WI, to arrange a consultation with one of our dentists here at The Dentists South Shore.